Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Introduction

Hello Phi Mu Lambda Beta Alums!

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself as the new 2010-2011 Alumnae Chair. My name is Jessica Barr, and I'm a Junior Elementary Education major with a double minor in Spanish and History. I'm from Charlotte, NC (where I know many of you reside now!), and I'm very, very excited to be able to get to know all of you!

Those of you who attended the Alum Day in March may have met me already (I gave a quick speech about our chapter's current philanthropy efforts). I'd like to give a big "thank you!" to all of you who were able to attend the event. I know all of the sisters had an awesome time mingling with you all during our practice recruitment party, and I especially enjoyed our Phi Mu trivia competition and game of charades!

I have a couple of goals during my term as Alum Chair that I'd like to share with you all so we're on the same page.

  • Communication. This has been a real stumbling block for our chapter's alum relations in the past, and I'm really aiming to improve this facet of our relationship. As of now there are four ways our chapter has to contact you, if you have provided the necessary information: phone, email, Facebook, and this blog. During my term, I'm will be contacting you multiple times to make sure contact information is up to date and to keep you in the know of what is going on up here on the mountain. I've just created a Twitter account as another means of communication, @phimulbalum. If you have a Twitter, please follow @phimulbalum and encourage any of your fellow alum followers to do so as well!

    I know that many of you may not be "tech savvy". You might not check Facebook, blog, or have a twitter. That's where the Roarie Report newsletter will come in handy. In the upcoming semester, I will be emailing out a newsletter containing highlights of recent events at Appstate and important developments within our chapter. If you would prefer to receive a physical copy of the newsletter via "snail mail", please let me know
  • Sisterhood and Support! Our sisterhood doesn't end on graduation day. I want to know what's going on in your life, the good and the bad, and I know the rest of the chapter does as well. If you have any special announcements (engagement, wedding, birth, new job, promotion, etc), please let me know so I can share these with the chapter as well! I have a few special ideas to improve our sisterhood and will let you know once they are approved! :)

Recent and Upcoming Events

Greek Week 2011: If you haven't already heard from the explosion of our chapter's Facebook statuses yesterday: Phi Mu Lambda Beta Chapter received first place overall in Greek Week this year! 

Phi Mu's Pie a Mountaineer: As some of you may already know, our chapter has renewed our commitment to philanthropy this year by setting a goal of raising $5,000 for Children's Miracle Network. Our latest endeavor to reach our goal is the Pie a Mountaineer event. On Reading Day (April 28th), we will be offering a little stress relief for Apps before final exams. For $2/pie, students (faculty, and whoever!) will be able to pie participating deans, professors, and other students in the face. We're hoping this will be a great success, so we can turn it into an annual event. So, if there's a professor you've still got a vendetta against, why not come up the mountain to get a little revenge and help us reach our goal! ;)


Thanks for reading and be on the look out for another post soon!

As always, if you have any special stories about your time in our chapter, words of support/encouragement, or fun photos you'd like to share with the chapter, please email them to me so I can share them with our sisters. :)

LIOB,

Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment